Information for tenants

Renting Homes 

The way you rent is changing - for tenants and landlords.

The Renting Homes Act is the biggest change to housing law in Wales for decades.

From 1 December 2022 the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016 will change the way all landlords in Wales rent their properties. It will improve how we rent, manage, and live in rented homes in Wales.

Read more on our Renting Homes Wales Act webpage. 

Tenancy hardship grants

If you are a private-rented tenant and struggling with rent arrears because of Covid 19 then the council could help you with a tenancy hardship grant.

The debt could be due to loss of employment; reduced working hours; being furloughed; facing additional household costs or any other reason that has impacted on your ability to maintain rent payments.

For help and support email [email protected] or call 01633 656656 and ask for the rehousing services team.

Generation Rent

Newport City Council, in partnership with Generation Rent, ran a survey between 31 May 2021 and 11 July 2021 to gather evidence on the experiences of tenants within the private rental sector.

This project is part of a larger nationwide initiative involving five councils across the UK to develop best practice models around engagement with private renters.

More than 300 responses were received to a full survey on the council website and a shorter version on Newport Bus services.

A series of focus groups for private tenants will be held from 8 to 10 November to discuss the results of the survey. They will be led by Sophie Delamothe of Generation Rent with both small in-person events and online sessions.

If you are a private tenant in Newport, we would really like to hear your experiences and gain a better understanding of any challenges you have faced.

To take part email [email protected] or phone 01633 656656.  All participants will receive a shopping gift card.

For research purposes, all sessions will be recorded. The recordings will only be shared with members of the focus group team and destroyed after the transcription is written up.

All personal and identifying information will be removed from the recording so your contribution will be anonymised.

Student Housing

Students coming to Newport to study may choose to live in either campus or private rented accommodation.

For advice about private rented housing conditions or to report concerns or an unlicensed HMO contact Newport City Council and ask for the environmental health housing team. 

Find our more information on our student housing webpage.


Private landlords or housing associations are responsible for repairs to homes rented to tenants.

Tenants are responsible for keeping their home in a good state of repair including:

  • minor repairs such as changing fuses and light bulbs, keeping your home reasonably clean, not causing any damage, using fixtures and fittings properly

  • informing your landlord of any repairs that are needed

  • providing access to have any repair work done

  • having a duty of care to your visitors.

  • repairing and maintaining your own appliances or anything that you have had installed

Your tenancy agreement may outline other responsibilities, e.g. if you are responsible for decorating your home.

Your landlord cannot include a term in the tenancy agreement that passes responsibilities for repairs to the tenant. 

Read more about housing conditions and defects.

Report a rogue landlord

Tenancy deposit protection

If a property is rented on an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007, landlords must place a tenant’s deposit, even when paid by someone else, in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme.

Read more on Gov.UK - tenancy protection page

Landlords must return the deposit within 10 days of agreeing how much is to be returned.   

Where there is a dispute between the landlord and tenant, the deposit will be protected in the tenancy deposit scheme until it is resolved.

If the landlord cannot be contacted, the tenant can raise a dispute with the tenancy deposit scheme who will investigate.

If landlords have not used a tenancy deposit scheme, tenants can apply to a local county court.

Where a court determines the deposit was not protected, they can order the person holding the deposit to either repay it to the tenant or pay it into a custodial tenancy deposit scheme bank account within 14 days.

The court may also order the landlord to pay the tenant three times the deposit amount within 14 days of making the order.

Find the right court or tribunal 

Eviction and Harassment 

Eviction notices 

Section 8 notice to quit

A Section 8 notice to quit or possession notice is served under Section 8 of the Housing Act 1988 on the tenant by a landlord wishing to regain possession of a property during the fixed term of an assured shorthold tenancy. 

A section 8 notice can only be issued to a tenant who has breached the terms laid out in the tenancy agreement, for example, has rent arrears. The landlord cannot evict the tenant without first obtaining an order for possession from a court.

Section 21 notice to quit

A Section 21 notice to quit is served under Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988 by a landlord wishing to regain possession of a property at the end of an assured shorthold tenancy. 

The landlord is able to issue the tenant with a section 21 notice without giving any reason for ending the tenancy agreement.

A landlord has the legal right to retain possession at the end of a tenancy but must follow the correct legal procedure, which includes serving a section 21 notice in writing. 

Harassment or illegal eviction 

The Protection from Eviction Act 1977 protects people living in residential property against harassment and illegal eviction, making it an offence to: 

  • act in a way likely to interfere with the peace or comfort of a tenant or anyone living with the tenant 

  • persistently withdraw or withhold services for which the tenant has a reasonable need to live in the premises as a home

Harassment may include the withdrawal of water, gas or electricity services, withholding keys, threats and physical violence.

If your landlord tells you that you must leave and the above eviction notices have not been served do not leave, you should immediately contact the council for advice.

You may also wish to contact a solicitor at the Citizens Advice Bureau or Shelter, providing full details of any incidents and people involved, including witnesses.

We will try first to resolve the problem by speaking to the person involved or will seek legal advice. 

If this fails we will consider if there is enough evidence for a prosecution for unlawful eviction or harassment.

Any prosecution will be in the name of the council and the tenant and any other witnesses may be required to give evidence in court.  

Help to Private Rent 

Newport City Council have a dedicated officer who can assist with finding private rented accommodation for individuals who have been referred by their homelessness officer. Mike Jenkins, Private Rented Sector Officer, can be contacted on 07816 354314 where he will arrange an introductory meeting. During this appointment a full benefit check will be carried out to ensure a client’s income is maximised, as well as looking into minimising expenditure and any current debts; this will aid with passing an affordability test. 

The team has a good working relationship with letting agencies in the local area – all of whom are registered on Right Move and Zoopla – which allows them to receive daily alerts of any available properties. The team will liaise directly with clients to arrange viewings, which they can also attend if desired. 

Please direct any enquiries to [email protected]

Bond Scheme 

Pobl operate a bond scheme aimed at people who are either homeless or threatened with homelessness, to assist them in finding private rented accommodation. They assist low-income individuals and families by issuing a paper bond which is a contract between the landlord, the tenant contract holder and Pobl for a one-year period. Please note: this scheme is not available to social housing tenants contract holders who want to move out of their current properties. 

Contact Vicky Bromley at Newport City Council on 01633 225094, who will arrange a financial assessment and advise appropriately. Alternatively, contact Pobl bond scheme on 01633 225092. 

For more information, visit the Pobl website