Support and Advice

 Social media support & advice sharer Eng

Newport City Council and our partners can offer a wealth of advice and support – from help with bills, to assistance in finding work or accessing training. If you are struggling financially, find out more below and get in touch.

Cost of living support scheme

Read more on our cost of living support scheme page.

Food banks and parcels

The council supports the distribution of food parcels and there are a number of food banks within the city. If you need to access these services, please call our neighbourhood hubs on freephone 0808 196 3482.

Sustainable food grants

A new capital grant has been established between the council and GAVO to support community groups and third sector organisations who are responding to food insecurity in Newport. 

The funding will cover community food initiatives, growing projects and collaborations which are experiencing challenges in meeting need due to inadequate equipment, premises or other factors.

Grants of up to £3,000 per group or organisation are available. 

For further information visit the GAVO website or email

Applications close on 4 August 2022.

Covid self-isolation financial support

The Welsh Government Self-isolation support scheme is for people on low income, who cannot work from home and who have to self-isolate.

Find out if you are eligible and apply online

Further support for vulnerable groups

A range of support is available through our area hubs. Teams such as our community connectors work with individuals, groups and organisations across the Newport area to provide information, advice and support. 

If you are not in a vulnerable group, but need support, please call (01633) 656656 and we will advise on local support available.

Money and debt advice

There are several partner organisations who can help you manage your money or debt. 

Credit Unions are non-profit-making money cooperatives that provides competitive loans and a safe place for savings.

Find out more about support services in Newport

Council Tax

If you are struggling to pay your council tax, get in touch. The earlier you apply, the sooner we can work together to help you through any difficulties.

We may be able to offer an alternative payment plan, you may be able to defer payments, or if you are in receipt of certain benefits, you may be able to apply for a council tax reduction. 

Benefits - claim what's yours

Benefit advice is available through Citizen Advice

The Turn2us website also helps people in financial need gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help.  

You can also use Entitledto to check what benefit entitlement you are entitled to.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

If you are struggling to pay your rent, you may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment

These payments are normally only awarded for a short period.

Discretionary Assistance Fund for emergency cash payment

The Discretionary Assistance Fund provides two types of grant that you do not need to pay back:

Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP) - A grant to help pay for essential costs, such as food, gas, electricity, clothing if you are experiencing extreme financial hardship, have lost your job, or have applied for benefits and are waiting for your first payment.

Individual Assistance Payment (IAP) - A grant to help you or someone you care for live independently in their home or a property that you or they are moving into.

Apply online or call 0800 859 5924. 

Employment support and training

The teams at our neighbourhood hubs provide a community based advisory service which can help you into employment or training. They also work closely with local employers to support people into new roles.

Other services provide by the hubs include support for families, libraries, and adult learning. 

Housing advice and homelessness

If you are homeless, at risk of homelessness or need housing advice then please get in touch

Newport’s housing associations also provide a wealth of advice and support for tenants. The associations are:

Contact them directly for assistance.


Warmer Wales is a free comprehensive and impartial service that helps people to reduce their energy bills. Visit the website or email 

If you are having difficulty paying your utility bills, contact your supplier as soon as possible so they can advise what help is available.

Welsh Water also has a range of advice available including the HelpU tariff which helps low-income households by putting a cap on the amount you have to pay for your water.

Winter fuel support scheme

Applications have now closed.