Housing advice and homelessness

Housing advice and homelessness services are being provided in line with Covid-19 guidance and staff are working remotely. 

Please email rehousing.services@newport.gov.uk or telephone (01633) 656656 if you are homeless, at risk of homelessness or need housing advice, we can phone you back if requested. 

An out of hours service is offered on (01633) 656656.

If we are already supporting you as homeless or at risk of homelessness, please contact your case officer directly by email or phone.  Please submit requested documents by email if possible.

Home Options Newport

The weekly Home Options Newport advert will continue to be published each Friday and we are working with partner housing associations to ensure allocations go ahead. 

You will be contacted directly by the housing association if you are offered a property. 

Please continue to submit your applications for housing via the Home Options website. Correspondence will be sent via your Home Options account or email if possible.

Please send queries by web message (via your Home Options account) or telephone (01633) 656656.

Housing associations

Offices are now closed to the public and services are being delivered by phone, email or in line with social distancing guidance. 

Please contact the housing association directly for further information.

Night Shelter

Eden Gate is currently unable to safely manage the night shelter in Newport, this will be reviewed regularly in line with government guidance on Covid-19.  Please contact the council’s homelessness team above for advice, information and help. 

Eden Gate is working with the council and other outreach providers to continue to provide support, accommodation, food and goods to those in need.

Support for those sleeping rough

The council has offered accommodation to anyone we are aware is sleeping rough. 

Our housing team is working with Supporting People, Pobl’s Housing First team, the Wallich, Eden Gate, the Salvation Army and the Olive Branch to ensure accommodation, food, household items and support is provided. 

Three meals a day are provided seven days a week, delivered following social distancing guidance. 

Toiletries and clothes are being provided by support providers when requested. 

Support for mental health can be found on the MIND website or by  telephone on 0300 123 3393.  Specialist mental health support and counselling can also be accessed via partner agencies and health services that are supporting those sleeping rough. 

Our partners will continue to provide outreach support for those found to be sleeping rough in Newport and for rough sleepers in accommodation. 

Anyone experiencing homelessness can obtain support, advice and information from the council’s housing advice and homelessness team using the details above.

You can report details of individuals sleeping rough using the Streetlink website or app, available via the website or from the app store. All reports are sent to the Wallich to provide local help.

Bellevue Clinic is currently providing services to rough sleepers and is in contact with outreach staff.

GSSMS (Gwent Specialist Substance Misuse Service) service users have been contacted and advised how to access support and prescriptions during the Covid-19 pandemic.

GDAS (Gwent Drug and Alcohol Service) is safely seeing and providing support to clients at their clinic. 

Support Gateway

Applications for supported housing and floating support can continue to be submitted via the support gateway.  

The Gwent Supporting People teams are providing a 'shop and drop' service for the most vulnerable people in Newport.  

For more information email Newport.gateway@newport.gov.uk or telephone (01633) 656656. 

Supported housing will continue to be managed by providers, in line with Covid-19 guidance. 

Environmental Health 

Housing environmental health advice and services are being provided in line with Covid-19 guidance.

Please email us at environmental.health@newport.gov.uk or telephone 01633 656656 for any housing advice, help with housing conditions, neighbourhood nuisance or public health issues.


Temporary Accomodation forms

Temporary Accommodation maintenance request form
Temporary Accommodation enquiry form
Temporary Accommodation payment form


Read more on further support avaliable:

Apply and receive guidance on houses in multiple occupation; HMO licensing

Request an HMO pre-licence advisory inspection or service 

Information for landlords, tenants and students, repairs and maintenance, gas safety and electrical safety

View Welsh Government Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for landlords and managing agents in the private rented sector 

Request an immigration inspection

For mobile home and camping guidance and licensing

Newport City Council holds a housing register in partnership with housing associations.