Health and safety

As an employer you have duties to your employees and also to outside contractors and members of the public who may be affected by your work activities. 

Visit the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website to:

Accidents and ill health

Certain injuries, incidents and cases of work-related disease must be reported under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR).

Visit RIDDOR to find what should be reported and how to report

A report must be made within 10 days and we will then make an assessment and may investigate.

Over three-day injuries

You no longer need to report over three-day injuries under RIDDOR but you must still keep a record of the accident if the worker has been incapacitated for more than three consecutive days.

If you are an employer, who must keep an accident book under the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979, that record will be enough.

You should also keep a record of any occurrence which does not result in a reportable injury, but potentially could have.


Contact the environmental health team at Newport City Council for further information.