Electrical safety

Landlords' responsibilities

Landlords must make sure that the electrics in a rented property are safe when tenants move in and are maintained in a safe condition.

This includes sockets, light fittings and appliances like cookers and kettles which should display the CE marking to show that the  manufacturer has met European law requirements.

Houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) and single lets should have a periodic test and inspection every five years unless an engineer says fewer are needed.

A landlord should be able to show that they or their managing agent has taken reasonable documented steps to avoid committing an offence. 

The council will accept an Electrical Installation Condition Report or equivalent, tested and certified ‘satisfactory’ by a NICEIC (National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting) registered or equivalent electrician. 

'Visual condition reports' are not accepted.

For flats, a separate certificate is required for each flat plus the communal areas (landlord supply).

Portable appliance testing (PAT) must be arranged by the landlord each year and tested items must be passed by an NICEIC registered or equivalent person.

If repair works are carried out make sure you are issued with a Minor Works Electrical Test Certificate to show the work has been completed to standards by a competent engineer who is NICEIC registered or equivalent.

Read more information for landlords

Tenants' responsibilities

Tenants should report electrical problems to the landlord as soon as they appear and should also maintain any electrical items brought into the property.

  • Ask the landlord for the Electrical Installation Conditions Report to show that the electrics in the rented property are safe when the tenancy begins

  • Check that appliances provided by the landlord have manufacturer’s instructions, current PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) test stickers on them unless new and are in good working order

  • Check that you have RCD (residual current device) protection 

  • Avoid overloading plug sockets

  • Go online to check whether electrical items in your home have been recalled by the supplier

If you report electrical problems to your landlord and nothing is done contact Newport City Council and ask for the environmental health housing team. 

Read more information for tenants

Useful links

Electrical Safety First   



Electrical Contractors Association