Student housing

Students coming to Newport to study may choose to live in either campus or private rented accommodation.

Campus accommodation

View accommodation at Newport Student Village

How to apply for accommodation at University of South Wales

University of South Wales - nursing student accommodation

Private accommodation

Private rented accommodation must meet minimum standards before being occupied.

You may find it useful to read guidance on houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)  

General advice  

  • visit several properties before you decide where to live  
  • visit Rent Smart Wales to check that the landlord is registered and licensed
  • check to see whether a HMO is licensed
  • make sure that you obtain a written tenancy agreement
  • do not sign any documents before you visit the property
  • if repair work is promised make sure it is completed before you sign a tenancy agreement
  • confirm who pays the utility and council tax bills
  • if house sharing, find out who you will be living with and ask to meet them if possible

  • if you are paying a summer retainer, find out if you are allowed to stay in the property 

Tenancy agreements  

A tenancy agreement is a legally binding document making you responsible for paying the rent for the agreed term - this should be at least six months.

Even if you move out of the property before the end of the contract the signed agreement will still exist and you will be liable to pay all of the remaining rent.

Read further guidance for tenants

Report a rogue landlord


For advice about private rented housing conditions or to report concerns or an unlicensed HMO contact Newport City Council and ask for the environmental health housing team.