Newport City Council has a range of support available. 

Thanks to Welsh government funding, every primary school pupil can have a free school meal.

We have more information on our free school meals webpage.

The Welsh government school essentials grant helps to fund equipment for children with families on low incomes. 

The grant can provide:

  • school uniform
  • school sports kit
  • uniform for activities
  • school equipment
  • laptops or tablets
  • equipment for out of school trips

Apply on our educational grants webpage.

The council supports the distribution of food parcels and there are a number of food banks within the city. 

If you need this service, call 0808 196 3482.

Newport City Council and Gwent Association of Voluntary Organisations (GAVO) have a grant scheme to help organisations.

Applications are open for food banks that can help with day-to-day costs such as buying groceries. 

For further information visit the GAVO website or email [email protected]

Our community connectors work with individuals, groups and organisations to give information and advice about support.

More information can be found on our community connectors webpage.

To find out more email [email protected]

Welsh government funding helps the council to provide free products through schools, food banks, also community organisations.

For more information email [email protected] 

The council can offer council tax support such as a payment plan. You can also apply for a council tax reduction. 

Visit our council tax page for more information.

If you are struggling to pay your rent, you may be eligible for a discretionary housing payment.

Further advice can be found on our discretionary housing payment webpage. 

This service can support with budgeting, support managing benefits, communicating with debt services, and grant applications. 

Email the team at [email protected]

If you are homeless, at risk of homelessness or need housing advice then please visit our housing advice and homelessness webpage.

Newport’s housing associations also provide advice and support for tenants. 
The associations are:

Contact them directly for assistance. 

Live wise, be wise 

Council staff and partners will be holding regular drop-in sessions at venues across the city to give advice on budgeting, managing utility bills, rent and much more.

Most sessions, which are funded by the UK government’s Shared Prosperity Fund.

Please email [email protected] for further information on venues and times.

Forthcoming events:

  • Eton Road Community House: 30 April, 4 June, 2 July 4:30pm-6:30pm
  • Shaftesbury Community Centre: 1 May, 5 June, 3 July 4pm-5:30pm
  • Beaufort Centre, St Julians: 6 June, 4 July 3:30pm-5:30pm
  • Ringland Community Centre: 9 April, 7 May, 11 June, 9 July 3pm-5pm
  • Somerton HOPE Centre: 10 April, 8 May, 12 June, 10 July 2pm-4pm
  • Alway Community Centre: 11 April, 9 May, 13 June, 11 July 2pm-4pm
  • East Newport Community Centre (Moorland Park): 16 April, 14 May, 18 June, 16 July 4pm-6pm
  • Maesglas Community Centre: 17 April, 15 May, 19 June, 17 July 3pm-5pm
  • Pill Millennium Centre: 18 April, 16 May, 20 June, 18 July 4pm-6pm
  • Malpas Court: 23 April, 21 May, 25 June, 23 July 2:30pm-4:30pm