Ukraine Support


For anyone directly or indirectly affected by current events in the Ukraine, there is a range of support available and ways that you can help.

Homes for Ukraine

Information about providing a room or accommodation for people fleeing the war in Ukraine can be found here.

Welsh Government's Ukraine helpline is now live for advice, help and support - 0808 175 1508 or use +44(0) 20 4542 5671 if phoning from outside of the UK.

Advice is available in both English and Ukrainian.

Download our Homes for Ukraine sponsor information pack

School Hubs

Newport City Council are pleased to be able to offer school places to Ukrainian children and young people through our Ukrainian Hub Schools: Llanwern High School and Milton Primary School.

This Hub provision will enable Ukrainian children, young people, and their families to come together, reducing pupils’ feelings of isolation from other Ukrainian children and young people during a period of significant change.

Visit our schools - apply for a place page

This will ensure pupils are quickly placed into a supportive school environment, where they can be expertly assisted to settle into their new life in Newport.

We have identified the following benefits of a Ukrainian Education Hub:

  • Support to reduce pupils’ feelings of isolation, as other Ukrainian pupils will be at the Hub schools
  • Support for families to settle in Newport, through the hosting of parent sessions at the Hub schools
  • Providing specialist and targeted services on the Hub sites, for pupils requiring language acquisition support and access a range of Services for children and their families
  • Providing intensive and targeted support from Gwent Ethnic Minority Service and other agencies, to further develop staffs’ knowledge, skills and understanding, to support groups of Ukrainian children and young people more effectively
  • Providing additional teaching and learning resources, including in the Ukrainian language and through the support of Ukrainian speaking staff 
  • Providing support for effective cross phase transition between the two cluster schools.

Discretionary transport may be provided in line with our Home to School Transport Policy.

Government/immigration information

  • Home Office – please see the link for information directly from the Home Office website. This will include information around visas. 
  • FCDO – information about travel to/from Ukraine FCDO
  • A list of solicitors providing Immigration and Asylum advice can be found here.

Donations – financial and practical items

Mental health and wellbeing

  • Melo Cymru – this organisation can help by providing resources and ways of coping with wellbeing and mental health support 
  • Mind - for mental health support and information 
  • GP – if you are registered with a GP, you can contact your local doctor’s surgery for mental health support search here
  • If you are from a migrant background and have difficulty accessing a GP, you can contact the Health Inclusion Service via email at or call 01633 261434

National organisations and registered charities

Local organisations and registered charities