Waste & Recycling
Coronavirus COVID-19: waste and recycling collections are operating with reduced staffing, read service updates:
- Bins and recycling boxes should be placed for collection by 6am on your collection day
- Please sort your recycling to help us to collect and empty your recycling more easily
- Missed collections: if a whole street has not been collected, we will collect the following day. If only your household's collection has been missed, please report a missed collection online or through the My Newport app rather than call and we will collect on your next scheduled collection day.
- The Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) is now closed until further notice
- The landfill site remains open to commercial business
- Bulky waste collections are suspended - please hold on to your items until the service resumes
- Trade waste collections continue, please tell us if you have closed your business and wish to suspend collections
Managing contaminated waste
If you have symptoms of coronavirus your waste is considered contaminated and needs to be treated as follows:
- All contaminated items, including tissues, cleaning cloths, wipes and masks must be put into a plastic bag which must be tied to prevent material escaping
- Put the bag inside another bin liner and tie the top of the bag
- Keep the bagged waste for a period of 72 hours in a place that cannot be accessed by other people or pets
- Put the bag in your wheeled waste bin for safe collection by our crews. The bagged waste must be contained in your wheeled bin and the bin put out in your normal collection point
- If you have an assisted collection, bag the waste as above, and put it out in your wheeled bin as usual
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
Newport is working to meet the Welsh Government target of 70% recycling rate by 2025.
Thanks for taking part in all recycling schemes to help meet this target.