Compliments, Comments and Complaints

Newport City Council is committed to dealing effectively with any compliments, comments or complaints you may have about the services we provide.   

We take your concerns and complaints seriously and try to learn from any mistakes we have made.  A summary of all feedback, including those received about the Council’s compliance against Welsh Language Standards, is shared annually with the Governance and Audit Committee.

Please visit Newport City Council Customer Feedback Policy Compliments, Comments and Complaints for more information about sharing compliments, comments and complaints with the Council. 

If you have a complaint regarding a school please contact the head teacher of the school

Dealing with a complaint is a straightforward process but sometimes complaints are pursued in a way that can hinder the investigation or cause significant resource issues for the Council.

Read our Unacceptable Actions by Customers Policy (pdf) for more information about behaviour which is considered unacceptable and actions which may be taken to protect staff.

Compliments, Comments and Complaints Privacy Notice (pdf)

How to make a complaint 

To make a complaint or for further information about the process, please use the online complaint form or contact:

The Complaint Resolution Team, Newport City Council, Civic Centre, Godfrey Road, Newport NP20 4UR

Email: or telephone 01633 656 656.

Can i complain to anyone else?

The Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) regulates all care services in Wales. You can complain directly to them about social care received from care homes and home care agencies, as well as services run by the Council.

You can complain to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales about any aspect of public services. However, the Ombudsman prefers people to use the Council’s complaint process first.

Social Care Wales regulates professional social care workers and can investigate complaints about their conduct.If you want to make a complaint about how a social care professional has behaved, telephone 029 2078 0545 or email 

Older People’s Commissioner for Wales, Cambrian Buildings, Mount Stuart Square, Butetown, Cardiff CF10 5FL : Telephone: 08442 640670 (standard rate) or 02920 445030 (local number) : email:

Children’s Commissioner for Wales, Oystermouth House, Phoenix Way, Llansamlet, Swansea SA7 9FS : Telephone: 01792 765600Children and Young People’s Freephone number: 0808 801 1000 

Advocacy Services

LLAIS are a new independent statutory body, set up by the Welsh Government, for the people of Wales to have their voices heard in the planning and delivery of their health and social care services – locally, regionally and nationally. 

Other Advocacy Services are: