COVID-19: self-isolation support scheme
The Welsh Government Self-isolation support scheme is for people on low income, who cannot work from home and who have to self-isolate.
You could get a payment of £500 to help with loss of earnings if you’ve been told to isolate by NHS Test and Trace on or after 23 October 2020 and you cannot work from home.
To get the payment you must:
- have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace on or after 23 October 2020 and
- be employed or self-employed and
- be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result and
- currently be receiving at least one of these benefits: Universal Credit; Working Tax Credit; Income-based Employment and Support Allowance; Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance; Income Support; Housing Benefit; Pension Credit.
Support for parents and carers
From 14 December 2020 eligibility is extended to include parents and carers who meet the following criteria:
- The child attends a school or childcare setting up to and including Year 8 (or up to age 19 if the learner has multiple and complex needs);
- The child has been asked to self-isolate by TTP or has been asked to self-isolate for 10 days or more by the school or child-care setting as a result of an outbreak in a school, childcare or further education setting; and
- Parents or carers meet the criteria of the main scheme, namely:
- are employed or self-employed;
- are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result; and
- (the applicant or their partner) are currently receiving, Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.; or
- The application is accepted under the discretionary scheme.
You may be eligible for a £500 discretionary payment if you meet all the eligibility criteria above, but:
- do not currently receive Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit; and
- will face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while you are self-isolating
The application is for one person only, everyone eligible in the same household must make an individual application.
Apply for the self-isolation support scheme
Before starting the application please make sure you have the following information to hand:
- your National Insurance number
- your most recent bank statement, wage slip or proof of self-employment
View COVID-19 self-isolation support scheme privacy notice
For further information or queries please email SelfIsolationPayments@newport.gov.uk
Any payment you receive under this scheme will be taxable but will be disregarded for benefits purposes.