We are now accepting applications for knowledge tests to take place in February 2024. Please note that we do not accept multiple bookings, failure to comply will result in the fee being forfeited and the application rejected.
(You will need a valid credit or debit card to proceed)
You must provide a valid email address and check your junk mail settings. When we receive your application we will email you with details of where and when the test will take place.
Please bring these items to the test:
- A recent passport sized photograph
- DVLA driving licence
- Photographic identification if you have an old style driving licence, e.g. passport, valid residence permit.
If you don't bring these items you will not be allowed to sit the test and will be placed back on the waiting list, delaying the procedure for obtaining your licence.
What will help you:
To assist you in the test please look at the following:
The Guidance Notes for New Licensed Drivers (pdf) give information about what to expect and what happens once you have taken the test.
Immigration Status for non UK/Irish applicants
From 30 June 2021, the Licensing Department is now required to check the immigration status for EU, EEA and Swiss Residents. You can find out more on gov.uk. An applicant can view and prove their immigration status on gov.uk.
- The medical form will be sent to applicants upon confirmation of successfully completing the Private Hire Knowledge test
- Applicants should discuss any motoring or criminal convictions which may result in the licence being refused before completing the medical examination as Newport City Council will not refund any medical fee.
- We do not accept D4Drivers medicals as they do not meet our policy which stipulates “A medical examination by a General Practitioner with whom the applicant is registered and who has access to the drivers medical records”