Private hire operator
Any person who operates a private hire service using private hire vehicles must apply for a private hire operator’s licence.
An operator’s licence permits the operator to make provision for the invitation or acceptance of bookings for a vehicle. A private hire operator must ensure that every private hire vehicle is driven by a person who holds a private hire driver’s licence.
A person or limited company can apply for an operator’s licence to operate from a premises within the Newport City Council area. This will be the premises where certain records are to be kept and at which they may be inspected by authorised officers and police constables.
Licensing authorities have a duty to establish whether an applicant is a ‘fit and proper’ person before issuing the licence.
Before you begin the application process, the applicant(s) should ensure that:
- They have suitable premises located within the Newport City Council area
- The premises have the required planning permission to operate as a private hire operator business.
- They understand the relevant legislation to operate as a private hire operator
- They understand the Newport City Council Conditions.
- If they do not hold a hackney carriage/private hire driver licence with Newport City Council they will be required to submit an updated criminal record check.
If you believe you can comply with the above, please submit the application form via our online services portal.
You will be required to register an account (and not as a guest)
If you have any questions, before you apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The licence fee will depend on how many vehicles the applicant wishes to operate. This fee will be taken at the end of the application process and if successful.
Renewing a private hire operator's licence
If you have an existing operator's licence you should receive a renewal pack at least six weeks before the licence expires.
If you have not received your renewal pack, email email@example.com.