Dangerous wild animal licence

You need a licence to keep some animals that are considered to be wild, dangerous or exotic, for example:

  • wild cats
  • primates
  • wild dogs, e.g. wolves
  • certain pigs, e.g wild boar
  • marsupials

The full list of animals requiring a licence can be seen in the schedule to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act Modification Order 2007

Hybrid or cross-bred animals may need a licence depending on how far removed the animal is from its wild ancestor.

If you're not sure, please ask - email [email protected]

A Dangerous Wild Animal licence is valid for a maximum of two years.

A fee is payable, see the current animal health licence fees.


Premises will be inspected by an authorised officer and a specialist veterinary surgeon to ensure the licence conditions have been met.

Any veterinary fees will be re-charged to the applicant.

The veterinary surgeon will report any issues to the council and these may be added as additional conditions to the licence.

If the inspector considers the applicant’s procedures and premises to be suitable, the licence will be issued.

A copy of the licence must be displayed in a prominent position at the premises.

Be aware of other legislation such as the Animal Welfare Act 2006, if you do not meet these legal requirements, you may not be licensed.

Please contact us before applying for a licence so that we can talk through the requirements and send you all the conditions you would need to meet.

Read more on the Gov.UK website.


For advice, contact Newport City Council and ask for the trading standards team.