Performing animals

You must be registered with Newport City Council if you exhibit, use or train performing animals - for example, in a circus, television or film production, or a theatre performance.

You will need to give details of the animals and the performances they will be taking part in when you apply.

You will also need to pay a fee, view the current animal health licence fees.

If your application is approved we will give you a certificate confirming that you have the right to keep the animals and use them in performance.

Please note, you do not need to register if you train or exhibit animals for use by the military or police, or for agriculture or sport.


A police officer or other authorised officer may:

  • enter any premises where performing animals are kept
  • inspect the premises to check that the animals are kept in suitable conditions that meet health, welfare and safety standards
  • ask you to produce your certificate of registration  

Fines and penalties

If a complaint of cruelty is proven against you, you can:

  • be banned from exhibiting or training performing animals
  • have conditions imposed on your registration
  • lose your registration

You can be fined up to £2,500 if you exhibit or train any performing animal without being registered.

You may also be banned from exhibiting or training performing animals.

Please contact us before applying for a licence so that we can talk about requirements and send you all the conditions you would need to meet so that you can apply and pay for the licence online.

Apply for performing animals registration

A fee is payable, view the current animal health licence fees