Planning permission

Glan_Llyn_October_2014 (1)

Planning permission is required for all building, engineering or mining works or a change of use of a building or land unless the works are permitted development within the planning legislation. 

Read about Developments of National Significance

Sustainable Drainage - from 7 January 2019

1. Check if planning permission is needed

New buildings, major alterations, enlargement of existing buildings and changes in use of buildings and land normally require planning permission but there are exceptions.

Check the Planning Portal's interactive house

Permitted development

Permitted development describes building works that do not need planning permission and regulations are different in England and Wales.

Permitted development regulations are complex and you are advised to seek advice from the local planning authority (the council) before undertaking any work you believe to be permitted development.

For householder permitted development enquiries a fee of £25 is payable and you are advised to submit the permitted development enquiry form (pdf) with details of any proposed development before work starts.

For commercial or non-householder permitted development and pre-application enquiries you are advised to follow the pre-application advisory process (see point 2 below)

Any advice given by the local planning authority represents an officer’s informal opinion and is not legally binding on the council. 

For a legally binding decision on permitted development matters you must apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness

Before starting any work you are obliged to ensure that you have all necessary permissions as unauthorised development carried out without planning permission will be liable to enforcement action and subsequent prosecution by the council.

2. Pre-application advice

3. Apply for planning permission


Contact planning services at Newport City Council.