Water quality

Owners are responsible for maintaining the water supply on their property.

Mains water which becomes discoloured or tainted should be reported to Welsh Water on 0800 052 0130 or on the Welsh Water website.

Private water supplies

Private water supplies can threaten health unless protected and treated as unlike public supplies, many private supplies are not treated.

The council monitors the quality of all identified private water supplies.

Contact Newport City Council to register a private water supply 

Users of private water supplies can ask Welsh Water about the possibility of connecting to the public supply.


If the water supply passes through a lead tank or pipes there is likely to be dissolved lead in the water and the tank or pipes may need to replaced.

Lead can be harmful to very young children.


Environmental protection at Newport City Council