This page tells you what a social care assessment is and how to request a social care assessment.

Newport City Council provides social care help for people based on an assessment of needs, usually done at a meeting or by phone.

When you contact us we will:

  • ask you about your situation and needs
  • check to see if anyone else is willing and able to provide the help you need
  • arrange an assessment if we think we might be able to help
  • tell you if we don’t feel we can help and provide advice and information about other ways you might get help

The assessment will help us understand what support you need and if you qualify for help from us. 

There is no charge for an assessment.

Read about adult social care assessment 

Read about children's social care assessment