Working in childcare

Family Information Service logo_June 2018

Working with children is demanding but rewarding and is open to people of any age. 

Jobs include playgroup leader, playworker, nursery assistant or childminder and it is possible to build qualifications as you go.


Social Care Wales gives information about careers and the qualifications needed to work within the early years and childcare sector in Wales. 

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)

People wanting to work with children will need to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and receive a DBS certificate before being considered for a placement.

Becoming a registered childminder

Before you can start work in your own home caring for children under 8 years old, you must be registered as a childminder with the Care Inspectorate Wales.

You may be committing an offence if you do not register unless you are exempt, see the Child Minding and Day Care Exceptions (Wales) Order 2010

During registration, your home will be inspected to make sure that you and your home are suitable to care for children.

The Professional Association of Childcare and Early Years (PACEY) offers support and training to help you as you register as a childminder.

Registered childminder? Add your details to the Newport FIS childcare database

Playscheme worker

If you are interested in working with children in Newport playschemes during school holiday visit the Newport City Council jobs pages for the latest vacancies, usually displayed at least 3 months before the start of the summer holidays.

Childcare at Home Approval Scheme

The voluntary Childcare at Home Approval Scheme verifies that an applicant has:

  • a suitable childcare qualification
  • has undergone appropriate first aid training
  • has had a DBS check