Children & Young People
Free, friendly, professional support and advice for families.
Families First is a Welsh Government funded programme to help support families, children and young people up to 25 years living in Newport and is led and co-ordinated by Newport Youth Service.
Families First's over-arching aim is to reduce the impact of poverty by employing a multi-agency approach focusing on prevention and early intervention.
- Aged 11 to 25?
- Living in the Newport area?
- Need support to access training and employment opportunities?
- Care for a young person not reaching their full academic potential in school?
- Know a young person who is a low or non-school attendee?
- Care for a young person with sexual health concerns?
- Know a young person at risk of anti-social behaviour?
We can help
Our approach is to provide flexible one-to-one support tailor-made to cater to your needs. Together we can produce an action plan that will enable you to meet your goals – and where appropriate we work in partnership with other agencies and services so that you receive the very best in specialist support.
Our aims are to:
- Support young people, aged 16 – 25, to remain engaged within education, training and employment
- Contribute to the attainment levels of pupils at Key Stages 2, 3 & 4
- Increase Year 11 pupils achieving Level 2 threshold (inc. English/Welsh & Maths)
- Reduce unauthorised absenteeism in mainstream education
In addition, we also aim to contribute to:
- The reduction of first time entrants to Youth Offending Teams
- Reduction of under 16's conceptions through the C-Card Scheme.
What you can expect
Weekly allocation meetings are held and, once the referral is allocated, a family support worker will contact you to arrange a convenient appointment to discuss your needs, looking at the strengths and resources that you and your family already have.
Together we will draw up a support plan for your family working flexibly and providing a service that fits in with your needs and commitments.
Complete a referral form and return to email@example.com and the team will be in touch.
Download Families First self referral form (doc)
Download Families First professional referral form (doc)
View privacy notice (pdf)