Rogue traders warning
Posted on Wednesday 6th April 2022
Newport City Council’s trading standards officers are warning people to beware of doorstep callers offering to do gardening work or property repairs.
Rogue traders prey on vulnerable people in their own homes and often the work they want to do is unnecessary or overpriced.
There are some steps that people can take to protect themselves from these unscrupulous callers:
- ‘If in doubt, keep them out!’ – ask yourself if you would have had the work done if the trader hadn’t called
- Avoid paying in cash. Do not go to the bank or cash point with a trader
- Do your research. Always get at least three quotes before agreeing to have work done
- Discuss any work you feel needs carrying out on your property with friends and family
- Don’t agree to any work or sign anything straight away.
- Don’t be pressured into having any work carried out.
If you think a rogue trader is operating in your community or someone you know has become a doorstep crime victim, report it to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit http://crimestoppers-uk.org
If you need help with a dispute, concern or suspicion call Citizens Advice on 0808 223 1133 or visit https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards