Newport’s unique position at the gateway to Wales gives employers easy access to a large pool of potential staff.
Businesses state the quality and availability of the workforce as key factors in their decision to locate in Newport.
- An estimated 479,000 economically active people live within a 30 minute drive time, including Cardiff and parts of Bristol, and over 1.6 million live within a one-hour drive
- There are 74,000 people working in the city
- Average gross weekly pay for an employee working in Newport is around 94% of the GB average
- Staff retention is higher than the UK average (source: HESA 2011/12)
- The workforce has a proven track record of flexibility and loyalty with expertise in aerospace, engineering, electronics, telecommunications, IT, financial, public services and business sectors
- The annual output of first-degree graduates from universities within 30 miles of Newport is over 17,000
- The University of South Wales offers degree, professional qualification and HND standard courses and has a strong record of employability working with key local employers
- Newport is home to the Alacrity Foundation, an initiative to help the UK’s brightest graduates set up a new generation of high-tech companies in Wales
- Read a summary of Newport statistical information
More information is available from the business services team.