Admission to secondary school
Children transfer from primary to secondary school (Year 7) at the start of the school year in which they will reach their twelfth birthday.
September 2017 Year 7 applications
The closing date for secondary school applications was Wednesday 30 November 2016 and decisions were issued 1 March 2017.
View the current summary of allocated secondary school places (pdf)
Make a late application by downloading the late secondary school application form (pdf)
Contact voluntary aided (faith) schools directly for an application form.
Key dates for September 2018 secondary school admission
- Apply for a place from 2 October 2017
- The closing date for applications is 30 November 2017
- Decisions will be issued 1 March 2018
Attendance at a primary school is not taken into consideration and so does not guarantee a secondary school place or give any priority to your child when making a secondary school application.
Where there are more applications for a particular school than there are places available, we will apply these criteria to decide which children should be admitted.
Oversubscription criteria for admission to secondary school
Where a school is named in a statement of Special Educational Needs, we have a duty to admit the child to the named setting before the over-subscription criteria is applied against applications received.
This will reduce the amount of places available to other applicants.
If the total number of preferences for admission to a secondary school exceeds the number of places then the following order of priority will be applied to allocate the available places:
- Looked-after children (children in public care) and previously looked-after children
- Pupils living within the catchment area and making an application on medical grounds or placed on the Child Protection Register and recommended by social services
- Pupils living within the catchment area but with relevant siblings
- Pupils living within the catchment area
- Pupils living outside the catchment area and making an application on medical grounds or placed on the Child Protection Register and recommended by social services
- Pupils living outside the catchment area but with relevant siblings
- Pupils living outside the catchment area
After considering these categories, or if the number of applications in any one of the above categories exceeds the published admission number, priority will be based on those living closest to the preferred school.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (01633) 656656