Children transfer from primary to secondary school (Year 7) at the start of the school year in which they will reach their twelfth birthday.
An application must be made for every child requiring a secondary school place.
Attendance at a primary school does not guarantee admission nor give any advantage to the child’s application for secondary school.
Before making an application...
- Make sure you can access the school admissions portal - do you remember your password?
- Check that your child is the correct age to apply
- Check the application opening and closing dates
- Do you know your catchment area?
- Check that you understand the oversubscription criteria (below) and where your child will fit
Apply for a September 2021 Year 7 place
Children born between 1 September 2009 and 31 August 2010 can apply for a 2021 secondary school place.
- Applications closed on 25 November 2020
- Decisions will be issued 1 March 2021
To make a late application complete the September 2021 secondary school application form (pdf)
Download the school admissions policy 2021/2022 (pdf)
Read about catchment areas in Newport.
Oversubscription criteria for admission to secondary school
If the number of preferences for a school is fewer than or equal to the number of places available, all applicants will be admitted.
However, where there are more preferences than there are places available, the following oversubscription criteria will be applied to decide which children should be admitted.
Where a school is named in a statement of Special Educational Needs, the council has a duty to admit the child to the school before the over-subscription criteria is applied against applications received.
This will reduce the amount of places available to other applicants.
If the total number of preferences for admission to a school exceeds the number of places the following order of priority will be applied to allocate the available places:
- Looked-after children (children in public care) and previously looked-after children
- Pupils living within the catchment area and making an application on medical grounds
- Pupils living within the catchment area but with relevant siblings
- Pupils living within the catchment area
- Pupils living outside the catchment area and making an application on medical grounds
- Pupils living outside the catchment area but with relevant siblings
- Pupils living outside the catchment area
After considering these categories, or if the number of applications in any one of the above categories exceeds the published admission number, priority will be based on those living closest to the preferred school.
If you express more than one preference, all of your school choices will be considered equally and a place offered at your most preferred school where a place is available.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (01633) 656656