You must receive written consent from Newport City Council before starting any work that affects a tree which is either:

Download the Tree policy (pdf) for help and advice on council owned trees.

Download the Trees, Woodland, Hedgerows and Development Sites Supplementary Planning Guidance (pdf)

Dangerous trees

A protected tree which is dangerous may be felled without first obtaining written permission from the council.

Owners should give at least five days notice of the intention to fell a dead or dangerous tree to give us an opportunity to inspect and confirm the need for action.

In an emergency telephone (01633) 656656 and ask for the green services team.

The council could prosecute an owner if it considers action has been taken without good reason, the onus of proof remains with the owner. 

When a dead or dangerous tree has been felled the owner is required to plant a new tree in the same place unless we agree that it is not necessary.

Report a fallen or dangerous tree

Trees owned and managed by the council

These are likely to include trees on the side of a road, verge, footpath or public right of way, in parks or open spaces, school grounds, cemeteries, libraries, allotments and other council-owned sites.

Trees on private property

Before undertaking any work on a tree on private property, including pruning, you should check whether it is covered by a tree preservation order (TPO) OR is within a designated conservation area OR is covered by a legal covenant.

You are strongly advised to check with us if you are in any doubt.

Contact Newport City Council and ask for the green services team.

Commonly reported tree problems

Appearance - we won't undertake pruning work simply to change the appearance of a tree.

Right to light - there is no statutory or common law right to light in the UK and we will not carry out tree works to allow natural light or reduce shading. However, where two or more evergreen or semi-evergreen trees are planted in a line with the potential to be considered as a hedge, Part 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 may be relevant. 

Solar panels - you are advised to take into account existing trees and the impact they may have now and in the future when considering the installation of solar panels. 

TV or satellite signal - there is no legal right to a TV or satellite signal in the UK and we will not carry out tree works in relation to loss or disruption of signal. Please speak with your service provider for advice about poor reception. 

Loss of view - there is no right to a tree-free view in the UK and we will not carry out tree works just to improve or restore views. We reserve the right to remove council owned trees if we can show that this will benefit the public landscape.

Falling leaves, fruit, sap, resin and debris - these materials naturally fall from trees and we will not carry out tree works to stop this or provide a service to remove material from private property, e.g. drains and gutters. It is the responsibility of the property owner to do this no matter where the leaf debris comes from. 

Overhanging branches - we won't prune branches unless they are in direct or potential conflict with a nearby building. The owner or occupier of adjacent land has a right under common law to cut back overhanging branches to the boundary line as long as this is done with care and the long-term health of the tree is not damaged. Please contact us for advice before taking any action. Any work should be carried out:

  • in accordance with BS 3998:2010 Tree Work – Recommendations

  • at a time when there is no leaf burst or leaf fall

  • in accordance with relevant wildlife legislation

  • by a suitably qualified and insured contractor

  • and that cuttings are disposed of responsibly

Further advice

Always check that any contractor you use to carry out work on trees is fully insured against third party risks.

If work is carried out on trees without the necessary consents, any enforcement action will be taken against you as the landowner.

This information covers only the basic legislation and procedures relating to the preservation of trees.

If in doubt, seek qualified advice or contact Newport City Council for the attention of the tree officer.