In-year transfer

There are a number of reasons why you might want to change your child’s school during the academic year, but it is important that you consider whether a transfer is really the best option.

Changing schools can have a negative impact on your child, such as:

  • disrupting their education, which may affect academic progress

  • affecting their social environment, friendship groups and extra-curricular activities

  • the school you want might not have a place available for your child and if you are hoping to transfer siblings, they may not all be offered the same school

  • the number of qualifications your child can achieve in Year 10/11 will be affected if the new school does not have the same academic options available

Unless absolutely necessary, for example, following a house move, you are strongly advised to work with your child’s current school rather than transfer.

Talking to your child and staff at your child’s current school may avoid the need for a transfer.

If your reason for transfer is covered below, you should take the steps indicated before making an application.

Remember, no school should advise you or your child to transfer. If this is happens please contact us.

Common reasons for requesting transfer:

1. Dissatisfaction with the school

You should...discuss your concerns with the head of year, class teacher or headteacher. If you feel the school has not responded appropriately, you should raise the issue with the Governing Body, these complaints must be taken seriously.

Our advice...In our experience, moving because of dissatisfaction with the school does not solve the problem. We often see this type of issue resurfacing at the new school and that’s why it’s best to address it before you move.

2. Non attendance at school

You should...sit down with your child and try to find out why he or she is not attending school. Talk to your child’s teachers. Are there any subjects that he/she is worried about?

Our advice...children must attend school. We often find that by talking to your child and the school, the issue can be identified and steps put into place. Please ask the school to provide you with the contact details of their Education Welfare Officer.

3. School bullying and emotional wellbeing

You should...Contact your school and ask for a copy of their safeguarding, bullying or emotional wellbeing policies.

If you feel these policies have not been followed, you should inform the school.

All schools have a responsibility to address bullying and all schools are equipped to deal with this.

If you feel they haven’t, contact the headteacher or Governing Body and if the bullying is particularly severe you should contact the police.

Our advice...We do not recommend school moves because of bullying or emotional wellbeing issues. All schools have a responsibility to protect the physical and emotional wellbeing of their pupils. If this has not been the case for your family, it must be raised with the school which can:

  • Move classes

  • Mediate

  • Arrange family meetings

4. Unresolved issues

You should...Make an appointment to speak to the headteacher, if this does not work, you can raise a complaint with the Governing Body. The school has a responsibility to resolve issues with your child.

Our advice...We recommend parents discuss the issues with their current school. It would not be appropriate to expect your child to move or to have a ‘fresh start’ because the school is not able to address your concerns.

5. Your child could face exclusion

You should...Talk to your child’s teacher, head of year or headteacher. Check if your child has a pastoral support plan, positive behaviour plan or has been identified as having special educational needs. Ask for a review of the pastoral support plan or any other plans that are currently in place to support your child's behaviour. If they are not receiving any additional support, ask to speak to a staff member to discuss this.

Our advice...If there are behaviour concerns from the school about your child, we do not recommend moving them to another school. No school should be suggesting this to your child. A disruption could make the issue worse. If you require support with this, please contact us.

6. Additional learning or Special Educational Needs (SEN)

You should...Talk to the teacher in charge of Additional Learning Needs (ALNCo) at the school and email the SEN team at [email protected]

Our advice...We recommend that parents engage with the school’s ALN or pastoral support team.

If after working with your child’s current school you still want to transfer to another school, you will need to make an application.

You should note that only limited places are available during the school year and your application may be refused, even if you live locally. 

Please do not submit this application more than one school term in advance of your child’s required start date.

Please note the dates below if you are making your application before the required start date: 

  • If you submit an application during autumn term, you will need to start by first week of spring term.

  • If you submit an application during spring term, you will need to start by first week of summer term

  • If you submit an application during summer term, you will need to start by first week of autumn term.

Welsh-medium education

We welcome enquiries from parents wishing to transfer their child from English to Welsh-medium education.

Pupils can be given additional language support to transfer and this is usually successful.

Contact your catchment Welsh-medium school or email [email protected] for more information.

Apply for an in-year transfer 

There are 2 ways to make an in-year transfer application. Please read the school admissions policy before making your application.

For admission between September 2023 to July 2024 

  • Complete an online application

  • Call 01633 656656 to request an application form and post it to us at: School Admissions Team, Newport City Council, Civic Centre, Newport. NP20 4UR.


Email: [email protected]

Telephone: (01633) 656656