Taxi Licensing

Find Newport taxi operators

Download details of wheelchair accessible vehicles (pdf)

New drivers

Due to high demand the next available Knowledge test is the end of January 2018

Apply online for a private hire/hackney carriage basic English and numeracy test

Download How to apply as a private hire or hackney carriage driver (pdf)  

After applying you will receive an email telling you where and when the test will take place. 

You must provide a valid email address and check your junk mail settings.

Before the test make sure you read:  

Existing drivers 

If you are an existing driver, you should receive a renewal application pack at least two weeks before your driver's licence expires.  

If you are a driver with a 3-year licence and you wish to make an annual fee payment please use the form below. 

Medical examination

New applicants must have a medical examination completed by a doctor (GP) who has access to all of the applicant’s medical history.

Applicants must pass the Private Hire or Hackney Carriage Knowledge test before submitting the medical form.

If the medical form is submitted before the Knowledge test is passed, you will be liable to apply for a new medical before the licence is granted.

Please discuss any motoring or criminal convictions which may result in the licence being refused before completing the medical examination as Newport City Council will not refund any medical fee.

Existing drivers will require a medical when you reach 45, 50, 55 and 60 years of age.

Applicants aged 65 years and over will be required to submit an annual medical and more frequent checks will be required in certain circumstances. 

Download the taxi driver medical report form (pdf) 

Vehicle applications 

Private hire operator

Download the Private hire vehicles operator application (pdf) 


Read the current licensing fees 

Download the Hackney carriage fees (taxi tariff) (pdf) 



Email or contact Newport City Council and ask for the licensing team.