Caravan, mobile home & camping site licensing

Caravan and camping sites in Newport require a licence from the council to make sure the site is run in a proper and safe manner.

Before applying for a licence you need to make sure that your site has planning consent

Once planning permission has been obtained, the land occupier must apply for a site licence for either a residential or non-residential site.

Types of caravan or camping site

Permanent residential caravan parks are privately owned, occupied by permanent or partially permanent residents and can be a mix of residential mobile homes and holiday caravans.

They are licensed under the Mobile Homes (Wales) Act 2013 and require planning permission.

Touring caravan sites have pitches occupied by different touring caravans.  

Touring caravan sites that operate more than 42 consecutive days or for more than 60 days in total in any 12 consecutive months must have a licence issued by the local authority under the Caravan Site and Control of Development Act 1960 Section 3.

Sites that operate for more 28 days of the year require planning permission.

Permanent holiday caravan sites have permanently sited caravans which are let out to holiday makers.

Planning permission is required and the site must be licensed by the local authority under The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 Section 3.

Tented camp sites have tents only and need a licence if the site operates more than 42 consecutive days or for more than 60 days in total in any 12 consecutive months.

A licence is required from the local authority under section 269 of the Public Health Act 1936.


In some situations a licence is not required, read about these exemptions

>>Apply for a camping site licence<<

Apply for a camping or caravan exemption certificate or renewal

There may be conditions attached to the licence that the caravan site has to comply with, these may be appealed at the local magistrates court within 28 days of the licence being issued. 

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

If a licence application is refused you may appeal to the council and to the local magistrates court.

Licensing conditions

Licenced caravan parks have to comply with conditions that relate to:

  • type of caravan - residential, static holiday, touring, tent-based
  • the density of the site
  • spacing between pitches and the maximum number of pitches
  • amenities such as toilets, showers, washing facilities
  • drinking water
  • waste disposal arrangements including water and chemical disposal
  • sanitation
  • fire safety and electrical installations
  • parking arrangements

View tented site licence conditions (pdf)


People who hold a licence can expect a yearly inspection visit from council officers who will walk around the site to check the number of units, structures, separating distances, toilet blocks, LPG storage areas, parking etc.

Original certification and maintenance records will be examined.


Mobile home licensing fees from 1 April 2017

  • Site licence for up to two pitches = no charge
  • Licence for a small site (3 to 10 caravans) = £624
  • Licence for a medium site (11-49 caravans) = £697
  • Licence for a large site (50+ caravans) = £832
  • Variation of licence = £57
  • Variation requiring inspection = £146
  • Fee to deposit site rules = £47
  • Replacement licence = £14
  • Fixed penalty notice charge = £78 

Camp site licensing fees from 1 April 2017

  • Camping site licence = £624

Licensed caravan sites in Newport

View the public register of residential and non-residential caravan and camping sites 


Complaints about a caravan park should be emailed to, you can also make a complaint online

Fines and penalties

You may be fined up to £2,500 if you fail to obtain a licence or break any of your licence conditions. 

Fire precautions

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005; The Regulatory Reform Order (RRO) applies to caravan and camping sites.

The RRO is enforced by the local fire and rescue authority.

Fire precautions may be designated as licence conditions under the RRO depending on which site you have. 

For further information about the Regulatory Reform Order contact the South Wales Fire and Rescue Service.

Supporting legislation