High hedges

In 2005 the government granted powers to local planning authorities in England and Wales to control the height of hedges affecting residential properties.

The legislation covers all evergreen and semi-evergreen hedges.

Concern about a neighbours hedge

Read ‘Over the Garden Hedge’ (PDF) which explains how to settle any differences with your neighbour without involving the council.

This process must be followed before a complaint can be made to the council.

Making a complaint

Before making a formal complaint to the council read High Hedges: Complaining to the Council (PDF).

If you still wish to make a formal complaint to the council download and complete the High Hedges Complaint form (PDF) with reference to the guidance notes. 

There is a fee of £320 payable to make a formal complaint to the council.