Starting a food business

If you are thinking of setting up your own food business please read the information on this page.

Visit the Food Standards Agency for information on starting a food business.

You will need to understand:

If you own or have taken over a food business in Newport, you must register your business with the council at least 28 days before opening or taking ownership.

This includes restaurants, cafes, shops, delivery vehicles, hot-dog and ice-cream vans, and market and other stalls.

Apply to register a food business online

Or download the food premises registration form (pdf)

If you have a mobile food business and you intend to trade on the public highway in Newport you will need to apply for a street trading consent.

If you intend to sell hot food after 11pm, sell alcohol or provide regulated entertainment you will need to apply for a licence 

Read about start-up loans and grants

You may also need to apply for approval of your food premises if you intend to use unprocessed products of animal origin (e.g. fresh meat, raw minced meat, raw milk or eggs).