Adult assessment

The Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act is a new law that gives you more of a say in the care and support you receive.

Newport City Council provides help for people based on an assessment of needs. 

The assessment will help us understand what support you need and if you qualify for help from us. 

There is no charge for an assessment. 

Contact the duty team at Newport City Council to ask about an assessment.


Many people depend on a relative or friend for help with day-to-day tasks.

These people are called carers and their needs will be considered when carrying out your assessment, unless you or your carer ask us not to do this.

Your carer may be entitled to their own assessment. 

Apply for a carers assessment