Business Rates

Pay business rates online

Sign up to pay by Direct Debit

Choose another payment method

Make a Business Improvement District (BID) payment

Business rates are also known as National Non-Domestic Rates (NDR) and apply to most properties that are not dwellings, e.g. shops, offices, factories, leisure centres, schools and certain plant and equipment, such as telecommunication masts and ATMs.

If a property is used for both domestic and non-domestic purposes – a shop with a flat above, for instance - NDR is payable on the non-domestic part and council tax on the domestic part.

The council collects rates on behalf of the Welsh Government

NDR bills are based on rateable values assessed by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and a 'multiplier' or rate in the pound, set annually by the Welsh Government

In 2015/16 the multiplier is £0.482

In 2016/17 the multiplier is £0.486

Visit Gov.UK to learn more about how rates are calculated and the revaluation from 1 April 2017. 

Rates collected are paid into a central pool and are then redistributed by the Welsh Government to local authorities across Wales to pay for services.

Visit the Valuation Office Agency website to search for rateable values in England and Wales and to find out how to lodge an appeal. 

2016/2017 guides

Download Your Guide to Council Tax & Non-Domestic Rates 2016/17 (pdf)

Download the Police and Crime Commissioner Budget 2016/2017 (pdf)

2015/2016 guides

Download Your Guide to Council Tax & Non-Domestic Rates 2015/16 (pdf)

Download the Police and Crime Commissioner Budget 2015/2016 (pdf)

Who pays business rates?

If a non-domestic property is occupied, usually the occupier is liable to pay the rates.

Where properties are unoccupied, the owner or the leaseholder is usually liable.

Occupiers who have just moved into a non-domestic property must read the information in the Property Occupation Questionnaire  (PDF) and contact the council as soon as possible to provide information about who is responsible for business rates. 

Occupiers who have vacated a non-domestic property must contact the council as soon as possible to provide details and complete a Property Vacation Questionnaire. (PDF)

Details of occupations and vacations may also be notified by email to  or by letter to PO Box 887, Newport NP20 9LW.

How to pay

Sign up for Direct Debit or choose from other ways to pay...

Rate relief

There are reliefs (reductions) and exemptions from payment based on a variety of circumstances.

Some properties, e.g farm buildings, churches are not rateable.

Read about rate relief schemes  


Email or contact Newport City Council