The UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) has an annual £10 million covenant fund to distribute to projects which support the aims of the armed forces covenant and the armed forces community across the UK.
The covenant fund is directed to establish a lasting legacy for the work and principles of the armed forces covenant.
Projects applying for funding from the covenant fund must support the following themes:
- Non-core healthcare services for veterans
- Removing barriers to family life
- Extra support after service for those that need help
- Measures to integrate military and civilian communities and allow the armed forces community to participate as citizens
The Covenant Fund Panel is made up of appointed members who decide which projects will receive money.
When an organisation applies to the covenant fund grants are allocated according to agreed criteria following a decision making process agreed in advance with the Covenant Fund Panel.
Covenant funding 2018/19
The funding priorities for April 2018 to March 2019 are:
- Armed forces covenant: local grants and digital development
- Armistice and armed forces communities: supporting local communities to consider the armed forces covenant and its relevance today in the context of the World War 1 commemorations
Other priorities will be announced in the coming months.
There are two funding routes:
- small grants, for applications up to a maximum of £20,000
- large grants, for applications of between £20,001 and £500,000
Welsh local applications will be received by the Regional Devolved Administration Board (RDAB), managed by 160 Infantry Brigade Headquarters in Brecon, to determine suitability and need.
Newport groups and organisations should discuss their bid with the local Newport Armed Forces Forum, please contact:
Regional Armed Forces Covenant Liaison Officer, email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (01443) 864447 or 07717 467341
The final decision on suitability of applications will be made by the MoD Covenant Board following advice and feedback from the Regional Devolved Administration Boards.