Trade Waste

Businesses have a duty of care under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (Section 34) to store, transport and safely dispose of any waste. 

Read about waste and your duty of care

Ask about a trade waste collection

Request a trade waste special collection


Licensed asbestos contractors and registered carriers can dispose of asbestos material at the commercial waste disposal site in Newport, telephone (01633) 235278 to book a slot.  

Your responsibilities 

Businesses that generate waste must have a trade waste contract with a registered waste carrier.

Failure to do this could result in enforcement action being taken. 

It is your legal duty to make sure your waste goes to a licensed site and you are responsible for making sure that the company that removes your waste is registered.

Waste carriers carry a certificate of registration from the Environment Agency and you should keep a copy of this.

You also need to transfer your waste to a licensed site through a carrier using Waste Transfer Notes, documentation that you must complete and that is transported with the waste.

With a regular collection you may only need to do this once a year, your carrier will advise and help you.

You need to make sure that the place to which your waste is sent is licensed by the Environment Agency to accept it - the carrier should be able to supply you with a copy of the licence.

Make sure you see the licence schedule which states what type of waste the site is licensed to take: it is your duty under the law to make sure that your waste goes to a site licensed to take it.


Contact Newport City Council for further details.