Complaints Procedure for Children

“I’m unhappy about something…”

If you live with a foster carer or in a children’s home or are helped by social services in some other way and you are unhappy about something, you have the right to complain about it.

To do that you need to contact us so that we can try to put things right as soon as possible.

Making a complaint

Make a complaint by completing the online complaint form or contact the children’s rights and complaints officer, Newport City Council, Civic Centre, Newport NP20 4UR

Telephone: (01633) 656 656


The children’s rights and complaints officer can also support you to make a complaint to other services that can affect you.

We will try, under our response standards, to acknowledge your communication within two working days.

What happens next ?

Stage 1 – tell us!

The first step in sorting out a problem is to tell someone you know.

Most of your problems can be sorted out once they have been shared.

A talk with someone you know and trust can often help you to put things right.

You can complain yourself or you may want someone you trust to help you make the complaint.

You also have the right to an advocate, who is someone who will help you express your feelings or point of view.

If you haven’t got an advocate speak to your social worker or the children’s rights and complaints officer, who can arrange this for you.

Don’t be afraid to complain, we will take your complaint seriously.

Contact us in any way you choose - you don’t have to write it down.

You have a right to complain in the best way for you, by talking to someone by phone or face to face, text, by email, on audio or video tape.

An officer will be nominated to investigate your complaint and will contact you within 10 working days of the date of acknowledgement of your complaint, once they have had the opportunity to gain knowledge of your particular case.  

At point of contact the nominated officer will hopefully be in a position to resolve your complaint. 

Following on from that contact, the officer will provide you with a formal written response within 5 working days.

Stage 2 – independent investigation

If you are not happy about the way your complaint has been dealt with by social services, you need to tell the children’s rights and complaints officer, who will arrange for two people who do not work for the council to look into the complaint and make sure that the investigation is done fairly.

The independent investigator and independent person will speak to you and talk to anyone else involved in the complaint. They will write a report and send it to the children’s rights and complaints officer. You will receive a summary of the report along with a letter from the Director of Social Services with their response to the report.

We will respond to you within five weeks and if this is impossible (for example when there is another investigation already going on) we will write to explain the delay.

What happens if I am still not happy?

If you are still unhappy with the outcome of your complaint you have the right to complain to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales, which aims to complete all investigations within 12 months although most are concluded sooner.

Who else can I talk to?

To speak to someone in confidence try these numbers: