Your City Council
The Civic Badge
The Civic Badge of Newport City Council was formerly the Coat of Arms of the former County Borough and is unusual for two reasons.
Firstly, it places a cherub above the shield of arms; secondly one of the supporters is a winged sea lion – Newport was the first authority to use this rare device.
The winged sea lion also forms the basis of the Council's Corporate Identity, the Newport Lion, introduced in August 1992.
The motto Terra Marique means 'By land and sea'
The heraldic badge continues to be used for all Civic purposes and in particular by the mayoralty.
In 1929 Newport gained a grant to use the armorial bearings which, in fact, it had already been using for some time.
This is a gold shield with a red chevron in reverse; the shield is ensigned by a cherub.
The shield is that of the Staffords, Earls and Dukes of Buckingham, Lords of the Manor of Newport in the 14th and 15th centuries, but the reversed chevron marks the difference between these Borough Arms and those of the family.
In 1957 it was decided to petition the Earl Marshal for the supporters which all Boroughs are entitled to possess.
The College of Arms granted this request in 1958 and a winged sea dragon and a winged sea lion were brought into use, representing strength on land, sea and in the air.
The motto 'Terra Marique' was adopted at the same time and means 'By land and sea'.
The official description of the badge is:
"(arms) or, a chevron reversed gules, the shield ensigned by a cherub proper. Supporters: on the dexter side a winged sea lion or, and on the sinister side a sea dragon gules, the nether parts of both proper, finned gold"