Traffic calming

Traffic calming measures are used to control the speed of drivers on roads where a need is identified. 

These measures can only be considered where roads have suitable lighting and a speed limit of 30 mph or less.   

Improved signage and road markings may be more effective with isolated hazards, for example at a sharp bend or junction. 

We will only consider providing traffic calming where it will:

  • improve safety in areas where people are being injured because of high traffic speeds
  • help to meet the Welsh Government's targets as set out in the Road Safety Framework for Wales 

Request new traffic calming measures

Traffic Regulation Orders

A Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) is needed for measures that restrict traffic or parking for safety.

Read about and apply for a Traffic Regulation Order

Visit Go Safe for information about speed enforcement and road safety. 


Please report damage to existing traffic calming features by emailing [email protected] or contact Newport City Council