Dropped Kerbs

A dropped kerb is installed on a pavement outside a property to allow vehicles to cross the pavement and park on the property.

The process involves the kerb stones being lowered, and the pavement strengthened and made into a ramp.

Step 1 - check before you apply...

1. Are you able to pay for the licence and construction costs? 

Depending on who does the work for you and the specification of the crossing costs are likely to be between £1,000 and £2,500.

The licence costs £200 which has to be paid on application with £100 of this refunded if the vehicle crossing is refused.

2. Planning permission 

Check to see if you will need planning permission

3. Space

You must have enough room to fit a standard vehicle without overhanging the footway, a minimum 5.5m length and 2.7m width is required. 

  • Any gates must open in towards the property
  • Extensions may be granted up to a maximum of 6.3m
  • Only one vehicle crossing is allowed per property

Dropped kerb dimensions_1


4. Siting

The proposed site must be 15m from a junction with an A, B or C road or 10m from a minor road. 

5. Visibility

Is there good visibility? Walls, hedges or other obstructions may mean that we are unable to approve the vehicle crossing.

6. Utility covers

You will need to contact the relevant water, gas or electricity company to arrange for the removal of any nearby utility covers and will usually have to pay the companiy to do this.

7. Trees

Any trees on the footpath or verge near the site may have to be moved at a cost of around £600.

If a tree is removed, you will have to pay for two new trees to be planted in an appropriate place.

8. Street furniture, e.g. road signs

Although road signs etc can be removed if necessary costs can be as high as £3,000. 

9. Parking bays, bus stops etc

If there are any parking restrictions on the site these may be amended but the process can cost £3,000.

Step 2 - request and pay

If you are satisfied you understand and can meet the points above, please complete this form to request and pay for a dropped kerb:

Request and pay for a dropped kerb