If we cannot agree

If you are not happy with the provision made for your child you should:

  • speak to the school's SEN coordinator as soon as possible
  • share information about your child with the school and other professionals involved
  • attend any meetings arranaged to discuss your child
  • keep in contact with your named officer in the council

SNAP Cymru can offer independent advice.

Disagreement resolution service

If we can't reach an agreement the free and independent disageement resolution service can help by appointing a mediator to meet with parents, school and council staff.

The mediator will listen to all parties to understand what has been happening and try to find a workaable solution.

SEN Tribunal for Wales

If you're still unhappy you can appeal to the independent SEN Tribunal for Wales if:

  • the council refuses to carry out a statutory assessment of your child, unless an assessment has been carried out in the last six months
  • the council refuses to make a statement after a statutory assessment
  • you disagree with Part 2, 3 or 4 of your child's Statement when it is first made or later changes
  • the council refuses to carry out a statutory re-assessment
  • the council decides to stop an existing Statement

An appeal has to be made within two months of the council making a decision.

You should contact your named officer if you decide to appeal.

Read about making an appeal (pdf)

Read about making a claim to the SEN Tribunal (pdf)


For further information contact the SEN coordinator at your child's school or email inclusion.enquiries@newport.gov.uk and the education inclusion team will get back to you.