Building regulations advice

Building regulations are national standards which apply to all types of building or alterations and cover all aspects of construction.

Online guides

Electrical work

Part P of the building regulations deals with electrical work.

Any electrical work carried out by non-registered traders should be checked and certified and the property owner is responsible for ensuring electrical work complies with the rules. 

Find a registered electrician 

Sewer pipes and drains

If you plan to build over or close to a sewer you must notify Welsh Water. You can find out more information by reading our guidance notes (pdf) before applying at the link below.

Welsh Water's build over sewer process   

Building regulations approval 

Building regulation submission is needed for work including: 

  • home extensions, e.g. a kitchen, bedroom, lounge

  • loft conversions

  • internal structural alterations, such as the removal of a load-bearing wall or partition, installation of baths and showers, WCs which involve new drainage or waste plumbing

  • installation of new heating appliances, new chimneys or flues

  • underpinning of foundations

  • altered openings for new windows in roofs or walls

  • replacing roof coverings (more than 25%)

  • installation of cavity insulation

  • erection of new buildings that are not exempt

  • access improvements for disabled people

Visit Planning Portal Building Regulations for more information.

Exempt work

Some building work is exempt from building regulations including conservatories, porches, covered ways and carports (open on at least 2 sides), detached single storey garages, small detached single storey buildings which are less than 30m2 and contain no sleeping accommodation and detached buildings with a floor area of no more than 15m2 which do not contain sleeping accommodation, e.g. a garden shed.


Email [email protected] or contact Newport City Council and ask for building control.