Information for owners

For an informal discussion about your empty property, email or telephone (01633) 656656 and ask for the Housing Strategy and Delivery team.

Owner occupier loans

The Safe, Warm and Secure loan scheme is funded by the Welsh Government to offer interest-free loans to owner-occupiers or landlords who need to carry out repairs or modernisation to their properties. The works can include anything to improve the safety, energy-efficiency or security of the home. 

Find out more about owner occupier loans.

Council tax exemptions reductions or exemptions

As of April 2019, once any exemption ends, full Council Tax charge is payable on all unoccupied properties.

If you own a substantially unfurnished and unoccupied property, that is undergoing major repairs or structural alterations, you may be able to apply for an exemption from Council Tax for up to 12 month period.

Find out more about council tax exemptions.


Renting out your empty property can be a way of generating an additional income.

Private Sector Leasing Scheme

Newport City Council leases some private properties directly from owners, usually on a five-year lease, for temporary accommodation when needed. Find out more about the Private Sector Leasing Scheme.

Vulnerable People Relocation Scheme

The VPRS is a team within the council which supports the resettlement of vulnerable refugees who are fleeing conflict. The VPRS receives Home Office funding to deliver their work, including sourcing appropriate family accommodation. The team is in need of properties to support this vital work.

The team will ensure that there are no void periods and rent is paid on regular basis. Tenancies are normally from 1 to 2 years. Any non-structural maintenance work will usually be addressed by the team (if, or when, LHA rates is agreed by landlords). If you would like someone to contact you about this project, please email or telephone 01633 656656 and ask for the Housing Strategy and Delivery team.

Rent Smart Wales

From 23 November 2015 it is a legal requirement that all private property rentals in Wales are registered under the Rent Smart Wales scheme. If you manage the property, you will also need to be licensed under the scheme or employ a licensed agent to manage your property. 

Landlords’ Forum

Newport has a Landlords’ Forum, supported by the council, to help landlords through the exchange of news and information.


If you want to sell your property, you could use an estate agent for a private sale, or try selling at auction. Most auctioneers will talk you through the process, discuss a guide price and, if you wish, help you decide on a reserve price, without obligation. There are a number of auction services covering the Newport area.

Newport City Council no longer has its own housing stock and is not able to buy properties from owners.   


Trustmark is a ‘not for profit’ organisation supported by Government which enables an on-line search at postcode level for local reputable tradesmen Find out more about Trustmark.

Property fraud

You should register your property with the Land Registry and make sure that the owner’s details are up to date.

Read advice about protecting your land and property from fraud.

VAT reduction

If you are renovating an empty residential property, you could be eligible for a reduced VAT rate of 5% on renovation costs, as detailed in VAT Notice 708 issued by HM Revenue and Customs.

If you require a letter confirming that the property has not been lived in for at least two years to provide to HMRC, please email or contact Newport City Council on 01633 656656 and ask for the Housing Strategy and Delivery team.  

Enforcement action or legal powers to deal with empty homes

Homes that are left empty for a long time tend to deteriorate and can also cause problems for neighbours and the local community. An overgrown garden, post behind the door and a generally neglected appearance can attract vandalism or crime. If you own an empty home, it is your responsibility to ensure it does not affect your neighbours or community. You are responsible for clearing any waste, even if others dump it, and for making sure that the property is secure. 

We appreciate that some problems are difficult to resolve and can lead to a home being left empty for a time. However, if a property remains empty and there appears to be no reasonable prospect of it being occupied in the near future, the local authority may be able to take over its management for up to 7 years, if authorised to do so by the Residential Property Tribunal. Find out more on Empty Dwelling Management Orders

In some circumstances, if there is an outstanding land charge registered against the property, the local authority has powers to enable the property to be sold without the owner’s consent.