Information for developers


Newport City Council no longer has its own housing stock.

If you are looking for an empty property as a development project, there are auction houses and commercial estate agents covering the Newport area. 

Find out about other council property for sale or lease.

Compulsory purchase orders and enforced sales of residential properties are rare.

Any privately owned properties for sale as the result of enforcement action by the council are normally sold at auction.

Owners who are willing to sell will normally do so through an auction house or estate agent.

We do not provide lists of privately owned empty homes, even under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, as public interest exemptions apply.

Newport City Council does not lease blocks of flats or Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).

We have a limited portfolio of flats and houses leased from private owners for use as temporary accommodation. 

For more information contact Newport City Council and ask for the private sector leasing team. 


The Safe, Warm and Secure scheme provides loans for housing improvements for owner-occupiers, developers, landlords, owners or projects that cannot easily obtain mainstream finance.

This can include the renovation of empty properties or conversion of non-residential space, subject to planning approval.

Loans are interest-free but administration fees apply.

For an informal discussion contact Newport City Council and ask for the housing delivery team. 

Flats and shared accommodation

If you are planning to convert a property into flats or shared accommodation you will need to apply for planning permission and obtain approval under building regulations.

Our Supplementary Planning Guidance explains how the council considers planning applications for HMOs. 

For properties converted into rented accommodation, there are two schemes which landlords are legally required to comply with: 

  • Rent Smart Wales for all rental properties including HMOs
  • HMO licensing if there are three or more unrelated people forming more than two households in the same building 

Please note that planning permission and HMO licensing have different requirements, you need to make sure that your project will meet both.

According to VAT Notice 708 issued by HM Revenue and Customs, your builder may be able to charge you a reduced rate of VAT on building services for the renovation or alteration of empty residential premises.

If you require a letter confirming that the property has not been lived in for at least two years, please email or contact Newport City Council and ask for the housing strategy and development team.