Tell us once

When someone dies, Tell Us Once can help you to give the necessary information to the Department for Work and Pensions so that they can pass it on to a number of other government departments and local council services.

NOTE - The Tell Us Once service is being temporarily suspended in light of the ongoing COVID-19 public health emergency.

Please continue to monitor this website and Newport City Council social media feeds for further information on when the service will resume. 

How to use Tell Us Once

You must register the death first and you can then either:

  • telephone 01633 235510 to make an appointment to discuss in person with the Registrar 

  • call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308 on Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm for a telephone discussion.

It will help if you have the following information about the person who has died:

  • their National Insurance number and date of birth

  • details of any benefits or services they were receiving

  • their death certificate if using the telephone service

  • their driving licence or driving licence number

  • their passport or passport number and town/country of birth

  • name of social housing provider if applicable

  • Blue badge if applicable

You will also be asked for contact details for:

  • their next of kin

  • a surviving husband, wife or civil partner

  • the person dealing with their estate

You must obtain the permission of these people before providing information about them.

Who will be notified?

Using Tell Us Once will mean that the following services are notified of the death:

  • Department for Work and Pensions (Pension, Disability and Carers Service; Jobcentre Plus, Overseas Health Team)

  • HM Revenue & Customs (Child Benefit; Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit; Personal Taxation)

  • Identity and Passport Service

  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

Council services including:

Housing benefit, council tax benefit, council housing provider (if applicable), council tax, libraries and leisure services, Blue badges, adult social services, children’s social services, collection of payment for council services, electoral services, concessionary travel, assisted waste collection, resident parking permits, licensing, education.

For further information download the leaflet Tell Us Once  (pdf)/ Dywedwch Wrthym Unwaith (pdf), visit Direct.Gov's What to Do After a Death or contact Newport Registration Service.