Step 4: Give legal notice

We advise you to make an appointment to give your legal notice as soon as you can.

Giving legal notice secures your ceremony booking, giving you peace of mind to plan your day.

Legal notice of marriage or civil partnership will be valid at one venue for one year.

Read about the differences between civil partnership and marriage. 

Your notice must be given to the Register Office in the local authority where you each live, regardless of where the ceremony is to take place.

Notice must be given at least 28 clear days before the ceremony, but for some couples this could extend to 70 clear days.

Find your local register office for an appointment to give legal notice.

If you live in Newport complete the form below and we will contact you to discuss your situation and arrange an appointment if appropriate.

To use this form, you can either login or create an account, or simply use the 'Guest' option, at the bottom left of the form

Tell us about your ceremony      


The documents required at the legal notice appointment are proscribed by the Home Office and will depend on your particular circumstances.

We can discuss this with you when you contact us to arrange your appointment, but the following will give you an idea of the type of documents we can accept as proof of your identity, nationality and address.

Passports are ideal but we will advise you about what other documents may be acceptable.

You will also be asked to show proof of your current address (e.g. driving licence, council tax bill).

If you have been married or in a civil partnership before and are divorced you will need to show a decree absolute of divorce bearing the court's original stamp.

If the divorce was outside of England or Wales please contact us in advance for additional guidance.

If your husband, wife or civil partner died we will need to see a certified copy of their death certificate and possibly other documents - we can advise.

If you have changed your name by deed poll, change of name deed or by statutory declaration the documents will need to be shown.

If either of you is under eighteen we will need to issue paperwork in advance of your appointment to obtain the necessary consent of your parents or guardian. 


Contact Newport Register Office

Read more on the Gov.UK site

>>Next: Step 5: Your ceremony choices

<<Back to: Step 3: Make a Save the Date booking