Getting married in church

If you’re planning to get married in a church or other religious building you must have the permission of the minister or governing body before making any other arrangements.

Church of England and Church in Wales

In general you will only be able to get married in the Church of England or Church in Wales if you or your partner live in the parish.

You should arrange to speak with the vicar who, if able to marry you, will arrange for Banns to be called on three Sundays before the day of your ceremony, or for a common licence to be issued.

There is generally no need to involve the superintendent registrar.

Other religious buildings

If you are getting married in any other church or religious building you will need to give a notice of marriage to the superintendent registrar of the district in which you live.

Some churches (although not the Church in Wales or Church of England) require the attendance of a registrar at a wedding while others have their own registrar (an authorised person).

If a registrar from the Register Office is required to be present at your wedding you should book this with Newport Register Office as far in advance as possible.