Booking your marriage

A notice of marriage is valid for one year but it is always advisable to make a booking for your marriage as soon as you can.

Save the date

At Newport Register Office a ‘save the date’ service lets you book your wedding as far ahead as you wish, enabling you to make all the other necessary arrangements in good time.  

Save the date bookings can be made by telephone or by personal attendance with a fee of £25 payable in respect of the specific venue, date and time.

Please note that we can only accept a save the date booking if both parties are free to marry.

The standard 'save the date' fee is non-refundable should you cancel or choose not to proceed and if you wish to change any of your arrangements, a further 'save the date' fee will be payable.

However, if you are saving the date for a ceremony in our Mansion House garden, the £100 additional fee for this option would be refundable should the ceremony be moved indoors due to bad weather or not go ahead.    

If you choose not to save the date, that’s fine, we will advise you of current availability although this may change by the time you complete your legal preliminaries.

Bookings are confirmed only when legal preliminaries have been completed

You will need to give your legal notice of marriage at the appropriate time to confirm the booking.

Your notice of marriage must be given to the Superintendent Registrar of the district in which you reside regardless of where the marriage is to take place.

Visit Gov.UK to find your local office for an appointment to do this.

Full details of the legal formalities which are required will be given when you telephone for your appointment.


When giving notice of marriage you will need to produce proof of your identity and nationality.

Passports are ideal but we will advise you about what other documents may be acceptable.

You will also be asked to show proof of your address (e.g. a utility bill or driving licence).

If you have been married before and divorced you will need to show a decree absolute of divorce bearing the court's original stamp.

If your husband or wife died we will need to see a certified copy of their death certificate.

If you have changed your name by deed poll, change of name deed or by statutory declaration the documents will need to be shown.

If either of you is under eighteen we will need to issue paperwork in advance of your appointment to obtain the necessary consent of your parents or guardian.

If you are not able to provide any of the above documents, the Superintendent Registrar will explain what other documents may be acceptable.


Contact Newport Register Office