Safety at home scheme

Newport City Council's safety at home scheme is available to elderly or disabled residents who live in their own home or in private rented accommodation.

The scheme offers a grant to provide small adaptations to the person's home to help them to live safely and independently. 

Any work undertaken must be required to help either: 

  • discharge from hospital OR

  • prevent admission into hospital OR

  • prevent admission into long term care

The safety at home scheme could be used to provide: 

  • adapted door handles, locks and latches
  • a door entry system - provided in exceptional circumstances and subject to an occupational therapist’s referral
  • internal hand rails, hand grips and grab rails, drop-down rails, stair rails - handrails to support access to a bath or shower are subject to an occupational therapist’s referral 
  • floor to ceiling poles 
  • external grab rails and handrails
  • small fixed, permanent ramps
  • level paths or for the repair or adjustment of steps
  • additional electrical sockets if required to support essential medical equipment, telecare and telehealth
  • an additional heating source in exceptional circumstances 
  • a high-rise WC, where a WC riser is unsuitable
  • additional lighting for people who are visually impaired
  • non-slip flooring, securing loose floorboards
  • a flashing doorbell for people who are hearing impaired
  • a keysafe where required to support the community alarm service or to provide essential access by care workers - this is subject to a referral from a healthcare professional, social worker, occupational therapist or telecare team 
  • safe cooking facilities, e.g. providing an isolation box
  • a shower seat - following referral from an occupational therapist

The council can arrange for work to be carried out on behalf of the resident.

The level of assistance is calculated on the reasonable cost of the work and is a maximum of £1000.


You can apply for help if you live in your own home or in privately rented property. 

Newport residents can ask to be considered for the safety at home scheme by contacting the city council. 

You may also be referred to the scheme by doctors, nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, hospital social workers, community nurses, community social workers, occupational therapists, Age Concern staff, PATH scheme, GPs, ward members.

Apply online

Alternatively, please email [email protected]