Blue badge

The Blue Badge scheme gives parking concessions for:

  • people with severe walking difficulties who travel either as drivers or passengers
  • registered blind people
  • people with very severe upper limb disabilities who regularly drive a vehicle but cannot turn a steering wheel by hand
  • people who are unable to plan and follow a journey because of cognitive impairment (e.g. autism, dementia, learning disability, mental health problem, head injuries etc)

The scheme allows badge holders to park closer to their destination, read about disabled parking areas.

There is no charge for a Blue Badge.

View Blue Badge Scheme: Rights and Responsibilities in Wales 

Check if you are eligible for a Blue Badge

Apply for or renew a Blue Badge

You will need your:

  • National Insurance number
  • Driving licence number
  • a passport photo
  • the details of your current badge, if you have one

Make sure you know the expiry date of your blue badge as renewal reminders are not sent. 

You may have to complete a different form and provide different information so that Newport City Council can decide if you need to have a mobility assessment.

The Blue Badge will be posted to you once your application has been processed.

Stolen and lost badges

Report a stolen blue badge to the police and get a crime reference number so that the badge can be replaced.

Complete a special application form (pdf) to report a stolen, lost or damaged badge.

A replacement badge will be issued by post when the completed application form has been received.


Check if you are eligible for a Blue Badge

You can apply for a Blue Badge if:

  • you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
  • you receive a War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • you use a motor vehicle supplied for disabled people by a Government Health Department
  • you are registered blind
  • you have a severe disability in both upper limbs, regularly drive a motor vehicle but cannot turn the steering wheel of a motor vehicle by hand even if that wheel is fitted with a turning knob
  • you have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty in walking. In this case you may be asked to answer a series of questions to help the local authority determine whether you are eligible for a badge
  • you are a severely injured member of the armed forces receiving a guaranteed payment under tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) and certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes an inability or very considerable difficulty in walking

The Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPA) will issue a letter to applicants meeting the above criteria which should be submitted as evidence with the blue badge application.

  • Children under the age of 3 who, due to a specific medical condition need to travel with bulky medical equipment or be close to a vehicle for emergency medical treatment. The badges will expire on the day after the child’s 3rd birthday

A parent or guardian must apply on behalf of the child and badges will be issued if the medical equipment is always needed and cannot be easily carried.

  • People who regularly drive a non-adapted vehicle but are unable to operate, or have difficulty in operating, parking meters or pay and display equipment because of severe impairments in both arms – for example, Thalidomide related disabilities

In this circumstance, blue badges will be issued at the discretion of the local authority.

A blue badge will not be issued if the applicant is to travel as a passenger or has difficulty in carrying items.

People with a psychological disorder will not normally qualify unless they have considerable difficulty in walking.

Organisations caring for disabled people meeting one or more of the criteria may be able to get a badge, although this is at the council’s discretion.


The Blue Badge administrator at Newport City Council


Privacy notice - Blue badge (pdf)