Street works licence

Applying for a Section 50 licence

Under the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) a Section 50 licence allows a person without a statutory right, to place, retain and remove apparatus in the street, and to do work necessary for that purpose.  

Section 50 of NRSWA and Schedule 3 to NRSWA govern the licence system.

The licensee is effectively acting as a statutory undertaker and is governed by the obligations imposed under NRSWA, the Traffic Management Act (TMA) and other regulations.

Newport City Council must keep a record of all street works and apparatus installed under licences it has granted.

Details of licences must be included in the Street Works Register.

Eligibility criteria

Applications must be made by the owner of the proposed apparatus and/or the land to which the apparatus will service.

Applicants will need to consider and accept the responsibilities placed on a licence holder and provide: 

  • Full details of the proposed apparatus including the type, purpose, construction method and location
  • Evidence of Public Liability Insurance valid for the full duration of the proposed permit with a minimum cover of £10,000,000
  • Confirm that they are the apparatus/landowner

Regulation summary

A licence holder is required to: 

  • Contact all organisations who may have an interest in the highway (utility companies, street lighting etc..) to notify them of the proposal, seek objections or concerns and obtain copies of existing apparatus in the location in question. Copies of forms to be sent are included in the application.
  • Ensure works are planned correctly and carried out in a timely manner.
  • Ensure that all conditions applied to the licence are fulfilled.
  • Notify the highway authority of any issues that arise.
  • Ensure that the apparatus is maintained and does not cause a danger to the public or damage to the highway infrastructure including other apparatus.
  • Indemnify the highway authority against all claims including injury, damage or loss arising from any aspect of the apparatus or structure including installation, maintenance and removal and also as a result of the presence of the apparatus or structure. It is therefore necessary that suitable insurance is in place for the life of the licence and must cover a minimum of £10,000,000 for each claim with no limit to the number of claims.
  • Ensure that the licence is correctly transferred to a third party if the land/apparatus is sold.

Fees are payable at the time of application and further conditions in addition to the standard conditions may be applied.

The current fee is £660. 


Download the Street Works licence application form (pdf)

We aim process the application within fourteen days, if you have not heard by the fourteenth day please contact us. 


Email or telephone (01633) 656656 with any queries.