Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013
All businesses that fall under the definition of a 'scrap metal dealer' must have a licence from the council to operate under The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.
Download and view the council’s Scrap Metal Dealers Policy (pdf).
From 4 April 2022, the rules are changing if you’re applying for a licence for a:
• scrap metal site
• scrap metal collector
If you’re an individual, company or any type of partnership you must complete a tax check if you’re:
• renewing a licence
• applying for the same type of licence you previously held, that ceased to be valid less than a year ago
• applying for the same type of licence you already hold with another licensing authority
You will not need to complete a tax check and you should follow the confirm your tax responsibilities guidance if you have:
• never held a licence of the same type before
• had a licence of the same type that ceased to be valid a year or more before making this application
Find a link below to complete a Tax Check-
Complete a tax check for a taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Scrap metal dealers
If you buy or sell worn out or discarded metal or metal products, either from fixed premises within the Newport area, or operate without premises but are resident within Newport (previously an itinerant collector), you must be authorised with Newport City Council as a scrap metal dealer for a site or collectors licence.
Motor salvage operators
If you dismantle old or damaged vehicles for salvageable parts, repair previously written-off vehicles for resale, or trade vehicles for either of these purposes at premises within Newport City Council area, you must be authorised as a scrap metal dealer.
Scrap Metal Licensing
There are two types of licence, both last for three years:
A dealer can only hold one type of licence in any one local authority area but can apply to run multiple sites.
Further information about both licences can be found in the explanatory notes accompanying the application form.
Download the guidance for completing a scrap metal dealer licence application form (pdf)
Site operators licence
- grant application site operators licence (three years) £504.00
- renewal application site operators licence (three years) £444.32
- grant application collectors licence (three year licence) £328.00
- renewal application collectors licence (three year licence) £281.22
- variation application £57
A Basic Disclosure certificate is also required so that the authority can determine your suitability.
Read more about the Scrap Metal Act on the Home Office web site
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries.