Newport City Council works with partners from the public services, charities and other community organisations to support the armed forces community in the city.
Armed Forces Covenant
The Armed Forces Covenant is a promise from the nation ensuring that those who serve or who have served in the Armed Forces, and their families, should be treated with fairness and respect in the communities, economy and society they serve with their lives.
The Armed Forces Covenant is supported at a local level by a partnership agreement between statutory, military and voluntary sector agencies who work together to honour and implement the national Armed Forces Covenant. Newport City Council signed the Armed Forces Community Covenant in 2016.
Learn more about the Armed Forces covenant
Download Armed Forces Covenant Wales News 2023 (pdf)
Download Armed Forces Covenant Wales News 2022 (pdf)
Advice and support – A Directory of services available to Veterans.
Newport City Council is proud to be a GOLD employer under the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme. We guarantee interviews to members of the Armed Forces Community, subject to applicants meeting he essential criteria for the post. We also have a Reservist Policy which provides support for members of the Reserve Forces or the Cadet Force Adult Volunteers, including paid time off for training. Remember to indicate that you are part of the Armed Forces Community when you apply.
Our Work and Skills Team can also help Veterans and their families aged 16+ who are unemployed and wish to find work or support with free employment related training courses. For More Information call 07581 011462 or email [email protected].
Charities supporting Veterans seeking employment include:
- Career Transition Partnership (CTP) – training courses, recruitment and career advice for service leavers undergoing resettlement.
- Hire a Hero - supports service leavers and veterans to make the successful transition into civilian life.
- Jobcentre Plus - aims to help people of working age find employment in the UK.
- RFEA (the forces employment charity) - provides lifelong, life-changing support, jobs and training opportunities to service leavers, veterans, reservists and their families.
- The Poppy Factory - supports ex-service men and women with health challenges into fulfilling employment.
Newport City Council’s Schools Admissions Policy for 2023/24 can be found here. While you should read the policy in full, specific references are made to Service children in paragraphs 3.27, 3.42, 3.67 and 3.68.
Through a grant-funded project run by SSCE Cymru, our Regional Schools Liaison Officer works with schools in Newport to help support Service children throughout their education.
If you have served in or are leaving the UK armed forces, you may wish to register for social housing in Newport.
You can also find information about private rented accommodation and support may be available to help you maintain a tenancy.
If you are interested in buying a property visit Home Options Newport or Forces Help to Buy.
Read here for further information about housing related support.
Read our information about low-cost home ownership.
We can help if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness:
Newport’s Armed Forces Community Networks
- Veterans NHS Wales -Specialised, priority service for individuals who have served in the Armed Forces, at any time in their lives and who are experiencing mental health difficulties related specifically to their military service.
- Advice and Support - directory of support that includes charities supporting the physical and mental health of Veterans.
Discounts for the Armed Forces and Veterans - Defence Privilege Card
Defence discount is the official MoD discount service for the armed forces, veterans and armed forces community. The defence privilege card offers discounts online and on the high street.
Free Swimming for Armed Forces & Veterans
Members of the armed forces and veterans can swim for free all year round at public and adult only swim sessions at any Newport Live pool. To be eligible for free swimming you must possess a Defence Privilege Card.